Wednesday, August 10, 2011

More rules of the Spaniards...

I am sure throughout the next 3 years here there will be many postings depicting things/actions that I come across as bizarre/inappropriate/just plain strange that the Spaniards do.  Because I have noticed on more than one occasion these behaviors I have dubbed them as Rules of the Spaniards...such as their driving...here are a few more.

Our stay thus far here in Madrid has required/allowed us to get around using public transportation.  The great thing is that the public transportation here is incredible.  You truly can get anywhere you need to go without any trouble.  A consequence of using public transportation is that you are around other people all day long as you travel to where you need to be.  I posted a post a while ago about the women of Spain.  How smartly they dress and how you don't see them running errands in their pajamas.  This is still true, but as the weather has turned extremely warm a trend of wearing white has emerged among the Madrilenos.  Now...here is where their rule comes in...It must be a Spanish rule that if you wear a white shirt you MUST wear a black bra and if you wear white bottoms, such as slacks, skirts or shorts that you MUST wear some brightly colored underwear.  Being the fashionista that I am (hehehehehe) I find this totally bizarre.  Am I the only one that knows when wearing white you wear nude colored undergarments, not even white undergarments.  It just boggles my mind...do they not see themselves in a mirror before walking out the door.  Now, you may be chuckling, but I am stunned at how many women I see in a day abiding by this RULE!!!!!!  Stacey and Clinton...Madrid needs a What Not to Wear - Undergarments show.

Another rule that I have observed is that when out in public you MUST show as much PDA (Public Display of Affection) as humanly possible.  This one just makes me uncomfortable.  If I knew how to say "Get a room" in spanish I might get to the point of yelling it out at the top of my lungs.  Just today on the Metro ride home a young couple were totally going at it.  Now, when I say going at it, I don't mean a little peck here and there, but full blown, noisemaking, making out.  I find this terribly disturbing.  I try to appreciate that they are in love and expressing that, but I really feel there is a time and a place.  That place is certainly not sitting next to me and my two children on the Metro.  Almost everyday we ride the Metro we experience something of this nature.  Whether it is making out on the escalators, as they wait for the Metro, in the parks...EVERYWHERE!!!!  This, again, may be one of those European things, but I really don't like it and I certainly don't appreciate this RULE.

Until next time....

2 comments:

  1. You may want to return to the US, as Spanish culture is not for you. I love PDA, and can't wait to see it and do it. Bye Bye American.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Bill...aren't you a tolerant one...while implying that the authors isn't tolerate enough, you aren't tolerant at all, Bill! Hmmm...interesting...

    ReplyDelete